Homestead Rest Stop and Visitors Centers
@ Illinois Department of Transportation
- Two 4,500 sq. ft. facilities designed to serve heavily traveled Interstate 55 near Hamel, Illinois.
- Architectural elements included deep overhands, bands of glass, brick veneer with limestone accents, glass block and a Terne coated stainless steel standing seam roof.
- An Historic Route 66 theme was used in the Information Center that includes touch monitor video screens for accessing visitor and historic information.
- Pavilions and picnic areas with street furniture are scattered throughout the landscape to welcome I-55 travelers.
- Thoughtful layout of the parking, walkways and native plants dictate the traffic flow of vehicles and pedestrians while providing a scenic environment.